Tue01052016

Last update07:36:08 PM

Back Forum Tatorte Shanksville United Airlines 93 Audio analysis of flight recordings on Flight 93
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Audio analysis of flight recordings on Flight 93

Audio analysis of flight recordings on Flight 93 30 Jul 2009 17:38 #178

• stefanlebkon
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
aviophobia

Obviously the timeline of the audio recording of Ziad Jarrah making announcements to the passengers on Flight 93, which is intermingled with a flight traffic controller and pilots from other airborne flights is incorrect. Not only because the two announcements were reported to be approximately 9 minutes apart but are only approximately 1 minute 23 seconds apart on the timeline, but also because of others’ concerns about how cockpit transmissions get mixed in with calls to the flight traffic controller and other aircraft.
So if this is just a simple dramatisation, which has been edited, then it should be stated as such.

This could, of course be explained as a short-form edit of the communications on the morning of 9/11, but the recording still raised queries about the actual recordings of Jarrah’s voice in the two announcements.
Firstly, the first announcer doesn’t have much of a grasp of English. It starts with an almost unintelligible “Ladies and gentlemen…” Here’s what the first announcer says: “Ladies and gentlemen here, the captain please sit down, and keep remaining sitting. We have a bomb aboard. So sit.”
The second announcement sounds like a different announcer, who has a more discerning command of the English language, a slightly different accent, and speaks more slowly and approximately two semitones lower that the first announcer:
“Hi, here’s the captain. Ah, we’d like you all to remain seated. There’s a bomb aboard. And we are going back to the airport. And we have our demands. So please remain quiet.”
Whether it was 1 minute 20 seconds or even 9 minutes later, this is quite a remarkable difference from the first announcement.
Quite a developmental curve from, “..and keep remaining sitting…,” in the first announcement, to “…we’d like you all to remain seated…”
The most remarkable difference however between the two announcements lies in the two audio waveforms.
Compare the two waveforms:

DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THE TOP OF THE IMAGE TO GET THE HIGH RESOLUTION VERSION.

(IMG:http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x189/boatbogged/WaveformShowingRampsAndTone02.jpg)

(IMG:http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x189/boatbogged/WaveformShowingRampsAndToneSecond01.jpg)

In the first announcement the noise cancelling microphone is visibly affected by what is called ‘noise gating’, as is prevalent in other airline communications. Put very simply, when the pilot is not speaking it turns off. It doesn’t just switch back on when the pilot speaks because this can cause clicking, popping or even clipping of the first words of the transmission. So the system is designed to ‘ramp’ back up. So it looks something like this symbol:<
There is a 410Hz tone running through both announcements. Some have said that this is an alarm because the plane is flying too fast for its altitude. Once again this is confusing considering the timeline where this is placed has the aircraft climbing to cruising altitude. Alternatively this could even be acoustic feedback from a headset microphone discarded close to a speaker. However in the first announcement it is obviously coming from a speaker because we can clearly see it being attenuated on the waveform by the noise gate and then ramping up.

If you compare the first waveform to the second waveform, there is almost no gating effect at all, even though there are 3 distinct pauses, which would have caused gating and ramping as in the first announcement.

Conclusion: The second announcement is recorded in a different environment. I’m not going to speculate a studio, but it’s worthy to note that this type of gating is not automatic in a studio environment, and has to be deliberately engaged. The second announcement also seem to have been recorded with dynamic compression -- quite dissimilar to the first announcement.

If you want to follow the timeline in real time I have made a video and placed it here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnjOyCx6Oxw

pilotsfor911truth.org/forum//index.php?showtopic=16458
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Audio analysis of flight recordings on Flight 93 07 Aug 2009 16:24 #226

• stefanlebkon
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
> "mayday, Mayday!"-- What Really Happened?, Transmissions from UAL93 Cockpit

The official story of what happened aboard UAL93 is depicted graphically in the film, “United 93"– the pilots are attacked by knife-wielding hijackers who stab them to death and thus take over the cockpit. I’ve always been suspicious of this story, especially since one of the passengers, Tom Burnett, reported in a phone call to his wife that the hijackers had a gun. When Burnett’s wife Deena was questioned about the gun report, this is what she said:

“He told me one of the hijackers had a gun. He wouldn’t have made it up. Tom grew up around guns. He was an avid hunter and we have guns in our home. If he said there was a gun on board, there was.”

That’s pretty convincing to me. The guns would also explain why the crew on only one of the four flights (allegedly) were able to make any kind of a distress call to ATC. Finally, there is documentary evidence that Betty Ong reported a shooting aboard AAL11 in her phone call, which was subsequently covered up. (I would be happy to go into detail about this evidence for anyone who is interested.)

With the release of government evidence relating to the Moussaoui trial in 2006, however, we were presented with some chilling audiotape which, if authentic, seems to validate the government’s story of a gruesome knife fight in the cockpit of UAL93.

I invite participants in this thread to listen to this audiotape, and analyze it in conjunction with two other pieces of evidence relating to the events in the cockpit of the flight. I would politely ask, however, that those who do not believe there were any hijackings at all– that the plane landed in Cleveland, the plane was a drone, the passengers were fake, etc.– to please not participate in this thread. I would prefer to hear only from those who accept, as I do, that the planes were indeed hijacked– the main question being, by who?

Exhibit 1: United States v. Zacarias Moussaoui Prosecution Trial Exhibit

www.vaed.uscourts.gov/notablecases/...hts/P200055.htm

Go to this link and you can download the evidence exhibit, including audio files. One file will be labeled “Ziad Jarrah,” the alleged hijacker-pilot of UAL93.

If you are unable to download and/or listen to this audiofile, please tell me. I may be able to help. Sometimes I am a bit suspicious that this evidence has been made intentionally difficult to access for the general public.

There are four segments of audio. The first two are the ones of interest to us. Both contain emotionally gut-wrenching sounds allegedly of pilots Jason Dahl and Leroy Homer yelling “get out of here” to the hijackers while wailing “Mayday!” several times.

Exhibit 2: National Transportation Safety Board- Air Traffic Control Recording (transcript)

www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB196/doc08.pdf

These are the official transcripts of the communications between UAL93 and ATC. However, they include only the transmissions to and from UAL93, not of the other aircraft on the same frequency. That ommission could be important, as we will see.

The transcript also includes this ACARS message to UAL93 five minutes and sixteen seconds before the first “Mayday” broadcast:

“BEWARE OF COCKPIT INTROUSION. (sic) TWO AIRCRAFT IN N.Y. HIT TRADE CENTR BUILDS...”

(Question: was this ACARS message acknowledged?)

Exhibit 3: Audiotape from Cleveland Center handling of UAL93 posted on Airdisaster.com

www.airdisaster.com/cvr/atcwav.shtml

This is a tape of the Cleveland Center sector handling UAL93 as recorded by a private website. Unlike the transcripts released by the NTSB, this recording includes the transmissions of other aircraft on the same frequency communicating with ZOB controller John Werth. The tape does not include, however, the transmissions of screaming from the pilots. Those segments were excised out by the website, supposedly out of respect for the families of the crew.

Analysis:

Have you listened to and/or read all three pieces of evidence? Do they jibe with each other?

According to the official story, despite the warning of a cockpit intrusion, the hijackers were able to enter the cockpit and, after a lengthy struggle, stab the pilots to death. We have to believe, then, that Burnett’s report of a gun was an error, or that the hijackers decided not to use the gun on the pilots. One of the pilots first keyed the mike at 9:28:16 to yell Mayday, then keyed the mike again 32 seconds later to repeat much the same thing.

Do we really believe that at least 32 seconds into such a life and death struggle, the pilots are still going to be ordering the hijackers to “get outta here”?

And how about the second transmission: It seemed to me that the two “get outta here”s sounded artificial, almost like they were a recording. Am I the only one with this impression?

The account gets even more suspicious when the Moussaoui exhibit is juxtaposed with the other two pieces of evidence I am presenting here. Here the crucial segment from the NTSB transcript:

1327:25 ZOB: “United ninety three that traffic for you is one o’clock twelve miles eastbound three seven zero”

1327:30 UAL93 negative contact we’re looking United ninety three

1328:16 UAL93 ***(mayday)***(hey get out of here)***

1328:48 UAL93 ***(get out of here)***(get out of here)

1329:14 ZOB United ninety three verify three five zero

In the key in the beginning of the document, three asterisks indicates a pause, and parentheses indicates a “questionable insertion.” That means whoever made this transcript found all these “Mayday” and “get out of here” transmissions to be “questionable,” in terms of what words were actually said.

That these words were barely intelligible is also supported by the third piece of evidence we are looking at, the audio from airdisaster.com which also includes transmissions from other pilots on the frequency. In the moments after the transmissions, Cleveland controller John Werth clearly has not understood what was said by UAL93, and tries to solicit help from other pilots:

United 797: United fifteen twenty-three, did you hear the company, er, did you hear some other aircraft on a frequency a couple of minutes ago, screaming?

United 1523: Yes I did, seven ninety-seven, and, ah, we couldn’t tell what it was either.

United 797: OK.

Cleveland: United ninety-three Cleveland, if you hear the center, ident [command for United 93 to send secondary radar transponder positive identification]

American 1060: American ten-sixty, er, ditto also on the other transmission.

Cleveland: American ten-sixty, you heard that also?

American 1060: We heard it twice.

Cleveland: Roger, we heard that also. [No noise on Cleveland tape.] Thanks. We just wanted to confirm that wasn’t some interference.

Executive 956: Executive nine fifty-six.

Cleveland: Executive nine fifty-six, go.

Executive 956: Just answering your call. We could year that, er, yelling too.

Cleveland: OK, thank you, we’re just trying to figure out what’s going on.

[emphasis added]
www.thememoryhole.org/911/flight93-air-traffic.htm

It seems obvious from this audio that not only Werth but the other pilots on the frequency have not been able to make out what was actually said from UAL93, other than that it was “screaming.” This would seem to be consistent with the “questionable” nature of the sounds heard by the person who did the NTSB transcripts, who decided to nonetheless insert the words “Mayday” and “get out of here,” and label them clearly as questionable.

And yet, when we listen to the audio from the Moussaoui exhibit, there is nothing ambiguous or “questionable” about the transmissions at all! The words “Mayday” and “get out of here” ring through clear as a bell on both segments! How can this be explained? How could the NTSB have thought these words were “questionable” at all? How could not only controller Werth but several other pilots not been able to make out the word Mayday repeated several times on two separate transmissions? The word Mayday is certainly part of every airman’s vocabulary!

This glaring inconsistency entitles us to question whether the “Mayday/get out of here” audio released with the Moussaoui exhibit is authentic, or whether it was “enhanced” while in the possession of the government– and perhaps not only enhanced, but completely fabricated.

Remember the recording of the Cockpit Voice Recorder from UAL93? You know, the one of “Allah Akbar!” fame? We can view the transcripts of that alleged recording, but the government has never released the recording. Apparently, some of the family members who were allowed to listen to it were suspicious of its authenticity. Is it possible that the “Mayday!” audio was cooked up in the same sound studio that gave us the dubious CVR?

With such an idea in mind, we should revisit the possibilities of voice morphing technology. Some people think the phone calls from the flights were voice-morphed. I’m pretty skeptical of that, since it would be awfully difficult to successfully fake several phone conversations with a loved one, such as Deena Burnett. Then there’s the actual recordings we can listen to on the internet of Betty Ong from AAL11 and of Cee Cee Lyles leaving a message to her family from AAL77. It would take a mighty talented voice morpher to pull those calls off without suspicion.

However, the few seconds of audio from UAL93 would have been a different story. Only a few words needed to be disguised as sounding like the voices of pilots Dahl and Homer. More importantly, a potential voice morphing technician would have been greatly aided by the recordings of the other, normal, transmissions made by the two men earlier in the flight on the same recording. Samples of their voices could have been used to greatly enhance the quality of the phony segments. The extreme duress of the situation would explain differences in pitch and timber of the voices, and allay any potential suspicions of those who knew the two men.

Alternate Theory:

If the “Mayday/get out of here” audio was indeed faked while in the government’s possession, consider this alternate theory of what really happened. The pilots were killed by hijackers– not by knives, as per the official story, but quickly, using the gun reported by Tom Burnett. With the pilots dead, it is the hijacker himself who keys the mike and makes the broadcasts over the frequency. Wanting to feign a knife fight, but not wanting to reveal himself, the hijacker holds the mike away from his body and makes some muffled shouting noises– the “screaming” heard by the controller and other pilots on the same frequency.

The same hijacker a few minutes later keys the mike again and broadcasts the familiar “here is the captain....keep remaining sitting... we have a bomb on board...” This transmission-- thought to be meant for the passengers and only accidentally broadcast over the frequency-- is in fact intentional and again designed to further the false impression of unsophisticated Arab hijackers.

On the day of 9/11, law enforcement immediately seizes all recordings from air traffic control facilities. Years later, a few seconds from those recordings are released that are not only emotionally riveting, but that also affirm the government’s story of a knife fight in the cockpit. The original report of guns in the possession of the hijackers– so devastating to the official story of unsophisticated Arab hijackers– is further discredited.

This scenario works perfectly for the conspirators and for the government’s official story, but only if those few seconds or audio are authentic. The question is, are they?

pilotsfor911truth.org/forum//index.php?showtopic=10566
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds